Visit to an Old Fort

Recently, I took myself a vacation and went to Jaipur. The Amer Fort in Jaipur is one of the highlights in the city. It belongs to the Mughal era in India and was built by Mansingh, the then ruler of the city. The tour guide told us that Jaipur was built a strong fort in anticipation of any wars that may take place, but has retained its beauty as Jaipur was never attacked.

There are many doors and many courts. The king had many queens and each had a quarter of her own inside the palace. There was a court of commons and a court for lords of the city. The daughter of this family was married into the Muhgal family to one of the Mughal kings, Akbar, therefore the detailing and design intricacies include patterns suited to both cultures. In some places, the colors are still very rich and beautiful. There was even a bed, an original bed hundreds of years old, that once belonged to the queen who sat on the throne. Now, it was in tatters, held up by some stones.



As I walked the fort, listening to the story from the guide, that he'd memorised, and taking pictures, I wondered .... This is a place where once commoners like us would have never been allowed. This is a place where the royalty walked once, where the queens lived, where the kings celebrated their victory. Yet now, hundreds of years later, the place is quite and still. In the day time, it is open to tourists. The daily lives of many royals was now only a story told and re-told by a guide. The decorations, where they still exist, are only for admiring for a minute or two, or for taking pictures and carrying home as souveniors. The commoners are even allowed into the bedroom of the queen whose bed now lies in ruins, unrecognizable as a queen's bed (unless someone told us so). Its ivory work was stolen by many over the years. Once a queen lay on it; now pigeons and rodents live in it.

I remembered another house, a palace, with many mansions. One that is never destroyed. One that Jesus makes for us in heaven, in His Father's house. I have a royal heritage. I have a royal inheritance. I am a part of the royal priesthood. I have a crown awaiting me in heaven. My house is a mansion in Father God's own house. My rest and comfort are from Him. I shall never want. My storehouse is in heaven, where neither the moths destroy nor the thief steals.



I have a royal heritage. I am a royal priest. Thanks be to Jesus Christ, who gave up His glory to let me be a part of this holy and precious inheritance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He is with me!

Perfect love casts out fear

Misery Conquered!!