Keep Your Eye on the Road

As I sat in the office bus in the evening, I could see my face reflected in the glass separating me and the driver’s cabin. There was a dark colored curtain on the other side that enabled the reflection. I closed my eyes as I turned up the volume of the worship songs on the iPod.


Suddenly, I opened my eyes – probably just to check the distance – I saw the curtain slightly pulled back, and I could see the road out of the windscreen. And right here begins the small discussion of an eye-opener.

When you stop looking at yourself, you start seeing the way.

I smiled. And closed my eyes, listening still to the worship songs.
Few minutes later, I opened my eyes again. The curtain had flown back a bit and now I could see a partial reflection – my face was not reflected, but a side of my hair was. But in the place where my face should've been reflected, I saw the road ahead.

If you look at the way long enough, you start to look like Him.

The curtain slipped back further, till I saw a partial view of the road; perfect, if I looked with one eye, and distorted, if I looked with both.

To keep looking at the way, you need to close your eyes to the world and focus the eye on the way.

The road turned and the eye that gave a perfect view of the road now gave me only partial view; and the other eye that I’d earlier closed, now showed me the way perfectly.

With turns in life, you need to adjust your view from time to time, to ensure that you are still looking at the way perfectly with both eyes, and to see the rest of the way also. With practice, you’ll learn to focus all of you on the way, and to discern it from the other things.

Till the time I could see the way perfectly with only one eye, I needed to see out of the window to check the location and distance.

When you get a limited view of the way, it may be good to have a look around at your situation. This would help you to know where you are.

I looked at the glass again but couldn’t see much after a while, and resumed looking out of the window.

After you have revelation from something, don’t keep staring at it to see if anything else can be made out. If I can teach you from a driver pulling back the curtain, I can teach you from anything.

While I was writing this at night, I remembered – the driver of the bus pulled back the curtain and the road was visible. The driver of my life pulled back the curtain too – He tore it apart, so I could have not just the view but access. Praise God – I can now see the way. He is the driver and the way; He pulled back the curtain and let me come in.

[written: 01/08/08]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He is with me!

Perfect love casts out fear

Misery Conquered!!